[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jul 16 18:21:27 CEST 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> I don't get the idea of having a new method that's supposed to be hidden
> from the user (but really isn't) for every object that wants tooltips;

Forget about how MAX does it and how bad that might be : just define an
assistfn field in t_class and the problem you mention will not happen.

> Did desiredata have tooltips?  If so, how were they implemented?

Nothing fantastic. Because desiredata was a fork of devel_0_39, it had
Günter's tooltips, and I modified them so that they look like other apps'
existing tooltips (yellow rectangles with the usual mouse behaviour) and I
didn't have time to improve the concept further.

I think that dd's tooltips would crash dd but I don't remember whether I
fixed it or not. In any case, dd's tooltip code is only relevant because
of the yellow rectangle / mouse behaviour thing, and that's because it's
standard GUI behaviour, nothing original.

And as Günter's, it only did inlet-names, not method-lists nor any other
things that could be interesting to have in tooltips.

DD's class-browser could list first-inlet methods, but pd's whole
internals-design prevents listing all methods in the class-browser. It's
easier to do it on a live object. The exception to this is GridFlow's
[gf/class_info], which can list all methods of any GF class without
instantiating, but that doesn't work on non-GF classes.