[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jul 16 18:27:53 CEST 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Martin Peach wrote:

> OK, but the object is responsible for knowing where it is, not Pd. If
> the string is generated on-the-fly or stored elsewhere the object will
> have allocated the memory for it.

Well, if pd has a default assist-method, externals might need a way to
give info to that assist-method so that it can do its own work. That would
be in t_class and in t_inlet.

>> In theory, tooltip strings could be stored in something at the
>> class-level instead of the object-level, just like methods called at the
>> object-level refer to a method-table stored at the class-level.
>
> That is indeed what happens: a shared library has a section for strings (or
> "data"). Unless it is generating them on-the-fly, each instance of the class
> will refer to the same location in memory for its strings.

I mean exactly what I write, something at the class-level, not something
at the executable-level. That's because I'm thinking about a default
assist-method.

> If there is no assist method, then Pd would use a default string from
> its own class, depending on what types were registered to that
> inlet/outlet at creation time.

There are several different purposes for the assist-method. Naming inlets
is one. Listing methods of an inlet is another. There are others. We have
to decide which such features we want to support, and then we will be able
to figure out what we need to add in t_class.