[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jul 16 18:39:29 CEST 2011

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> This brings up an issue I've been wondering about since learning a
> little more about the canvas editor: why does the pd gui send 'motion'
> messages to pd?  Why not, for example, just have a tag for an inlet
> rectangle and bind <Enter> and <Leave> to it?  Then you'd only be
> sending messages from the gui for the events you care about, instead of
> tons of "motion" messages that don't trigger anything.

Just because almost all the canvas patching operations (create box, edit
box, delete box, select box, connect, disconnect, etc) are made completely
from server side computations without using any <Enter>, <Leave> nor
TkCanvas's "find overlapping" feature.

DD used "find overlapping". It finds the list of canvas-items that
intersects a given rectangle. Then DD had a standard tag system in which
mandatory tags allowed DD itself to figure out the origin of a certain
item and trace it back to an object. That allowed to delete a chunk of C
code, but to remove the need for 'motion' messages, a lot more work is
necessary.