[PD] pd-con 2011: CARILLON

Moritz Schell moritz.schell at uni-weimar.de
Tue Jul 26 15:31:18 CEST 2011

Dear "carillon crew",

It took some time that you got the last live sign from us... sorry for
that!
We wanted to remind you that the deadline for your submissions for the
carillon is at the end of july.

As we promised we contacted the manufacturer of the carillon to ask
him about the maximum repeat rate of the striking mechanism.
Unfortunatelly they can't give us some useful information.
Additionally we are a little concerned about the health of the carillon:
Since the porcelain bells are more delicate than the usual metal or
brass bells we wanted to have written specifications of the
manufacturer what we can do and what we can't with the carillon – just
as a liability insurance for the worst case. The worst case is
certainly a bell cracking because of our music. If that happens and
parts of the bell falls it will also destroy the ones under it. To be
replaced a few bells over and under in the scale from the missing bell
need to go to the factory in order for the one bell to be tuned
correctly. All in all the costs will exceed 10.000 Euros very quickly.
However the manufacturer doesn't want to give us such a specification
and we now have two contrary statements: the manufacturer says that it
is possible o destroy a bell through the system, the carilloneur of
the city hall says it isn't. We will continue to try to get hands on a
reliable specification but wanted you to know about the situation. If
we can't get anything specific we must reserve the possibility to
reject proposals which repeatedly strike the same bell in a short
time. while “short” is for now defined by faster than the average
person can do on a piano.

We are really sorry, but at the moment we can't provide you more
information as mentioned.
We'll let you know as soon as we get new information and we'll update
the Wiki-page...:
http://www.uni-weimar.de/medien/wiki/PDCON:Porcelain_carillon

Looking forwad to your ideas and patches,

best regards

moritz, frederic and max

Moritz Schell
MKG, Master