[PD] [PD-announce] Pd Convention - Data structures workshop: Taking your requests

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Aug 2 10:14:02 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 08:59:49AM -0500, Charles Henry wrote:
> I'm mainly interested in using Pd for scientific and engineering
> research.  I have a mixed level of experience--I'm deep into the DSP
> routines, but I have no clue how data structures work.
>
> About the only application I can think of right now is a "data
> logger"--recording info about a particular trial/experiment and its
> results.
>
> I'd like to learn easy or more compact ways to accomplish things with
> data structures.
>
> I will look forward to your workshop!  Thanks much!

Data structures can be nice problem solvers in unexpected areas as well,
not only in visualizing/graphically editing data. For example, they are
used hidden away to implement a fast vanilla list sorting in the newest
[list-sort], or in the [m_symbolarray] object of the rj library to
mimick a [table] object that stores indexed symbols instead of floats.
A users of these objects never sees the data structures inside,
they don't even have a graphical representation but instead are just
used as what their name says: as data structures.

Ciao
--
Frank