[PD] find a list of numbers in a text file

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 04:51:17 CEST 2011

Hi folks

Back in the end of my masters, I did make something that allows you to load
scales from the Scala software into Pd, which has a database of over 4000
scales.

Check the software and data bank here http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

It's an extremely powerful tool for microtonality, but you may not care for
that and just want to use the scale data bank in Pd.

Anyway, I have a way that exports the  from the Scala software into a text
file that opens in this specific subpatch of mine.

But I was trying to do something easier, and that is just load these *.scl
files into [textfile] or [msgfile] for example, and extracting the list of
these scale intervals in cents.

Here's what one of these files look like

==============

! 08-11.scl
!
8 out of 11-tET
 8
!
 218.18182
 327.27273
 436.36364
 654.54545
 763.63636
 872.72727
 1090.90909
 2/1

===============

So I assumed it'd be easy to extract each cents value and make a list out of
it, but I was wrong. Don't know why but it doesn't load this in separate
lines, maybe because it is not a *.txt file at all.

And anyway, I'm getting in Pd just a list, so the above file, for example,
file becomes

list ! 08-11.scl ! 8 out of 11-tET 8 ! 218.182 327.273 436.364 654.545
763.636 872.727 1090.91 2/1

I seem to have found a messy way to get the list out of it, but maybe you
people know of something really simple and elegant with some extended
objects.

Thanks
Alex