[PD] [PD-announce] Pd Convention - Data structures workshop: Taking your requests

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Aug 3 10:15:43 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 01:57:32PM -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> How well do these things scale without having a low level way to delete/copy
> scalars or insert/remove arbitrary array elements?

It's "okayish". To store the symbol, I use a data-structure array of number/symbol
pairs, where the number is used as a flag if a symbol is active or "deleted".
So your symbolarray can have "holes", but OTOH if you create an array with only
one symbol stored at position 20,000 it will use up the memory of 20,000
symbol/number pairs. But so does a [table] ...

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__