[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 22:02:05 CEST 2011

[makefilename] works off of sprintf which allows you to use it's precision modifier; the syntax is a "." followed by a number, sandwiched between the "%" and the type specifier.  For symbols, something like "%.2s" means you want a precision of two characters, so [makefilename] will truncate everything after the second character of the symbol.  (BTW-- this means it's trivial to make an abstraction in pd that counts the number of characters in a symbol...)

So I basically made an outer recursive loop that increments the precision, and an inner iterative loop with [until] that tries to match the symbol at that precision. Since I know your ratio format will only contains digits and a single forward slash, then at most it takes 11 tries to find the first character; once the match is found that known character is prefixed to whatever I'm matching in the next iteration of the outer loop.  This contiues until the symbol at the current level of precision matches the original symbol.  Finally, a list of floats is accumulated from a counter whose value corresponds to the matched symbol for each outer loop iteration.

The idiosyncratic recursion happens when combining the single digits to make the final two values of the numerator and denominator.  It's a [list split 1] with the middle outlet to a [t a] that feeds back into the left inlet.  This outputs the list backwards-- I'm not exactly sure why, but it's handy in this case because I can just multiply each digit by increasing powers of ten and accumulate to get the final value for the numerator.  (Same process for the denominator.)  There's the danger of a stack overflow, but it's unlikely that either part of the fraction would have more than 249 digits.

Actually now that I look at it, there should be a much greater danger of a stack overflow in the outer loop, because there are seven objects involved in the recursion.  But I can still send a 123-character symbol to the abstraction without an overflow.  Not sure I understand the relationship between # of objects in recursive chain and max # function calls before stack overflow.

-Jonathan

 11:51:17PM -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> [...]
 specific subpatch of mine.

 2/1

 simple and elegant with some extended