[PD] Turing Tarpit (was Re: (breaking symbols))

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 08:04:21 CEST 2011

Anyone who would get scared off by the gymnastics/spaghetti of that patch would already have been scared off by the lack of clean symbol manipulation tools in Pd vanilla.

Your original design failed because you ignored the ease with which people can ignore the innards of a much needed abstraction.  Abstractions are powerful because they don't require the author to know another language, and they can immediately be distributed to any platform on which Pd runs.  Anyone who saw your list-drip-quick attachment on the list could make use of it right away in a patch.

-Jonathan

 but wouldn't it be nice if such skills could concentrate more on things that aren't Turing Tarpit Voodoo Dance.

>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_tarpit
>
>It does scare me that my [list-drip] is more used than my [foreach]. Both do the same thing, but [list-drip] is more twisted, much slower than [foreach], and I originally designed it to show how ridiculous things can get when trying to be efficient while sticking to what plain vanilla 42 has to offer. The answer is that what is considered the standard class library (used by everybody) has to grow faster than what someone is willing to do. Few people have the luxury of holding back additions to core software while pondering a few years on how to name them.
>
>I consider my [list-drip] to be a small improvement over the older [list-drip]. The big improvement is when people will stop insisting on using an
 abstraction for doing something that ought to be written in C.