[PD] DesireData escaping code

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Aug 8 23:51:04 CEST 2011

On Aug 8, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Aug 7, 2011, at 5:19 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>> That sounds like the same symptom as when there is an extra
>>> unquoted open-brace.
>>
>> What would it take to convince you to port your DD escaping code to
>> Pd 0.43? :-D :-D :-D
>
> Do you realise that this escaping code relies on a massive change of
> the GUI code ? You wouldn't need the whole set of DD's GUI changes
> (no need to import DD's buggy parts, for example...) but it would be
> a quite massive change.
>
> Otherwise, you'd have to rewrite the escaping code so that it fits
> in Pd 43.
>
> Basically, IIRC, what happens is that DD saves spaces/backslashes/
> braces/etc correctly to disk when within symbols. All versions of PD
> are already equipped to load them correctly, but not to save them.
> Then DD's GUI code uploads single lines of .pd files to the GUI side
> and then the GUI side parses them correctly.
>
> Note that apart from PD's C-based parser and DD's Tcl-based parser,
> all other parsers that people have posted on pd-list and/or
> puredata.info are incomplete parsers, as they can only parse what PD
> can currently save, not what it can currently load.

My guess is that it'll have to be a combo of moving Pd 0.43 to the DD
approach and rewriting the DD code to fit into 0.43.  It sounds like
you have 'pd-gui' saving the file using Tcl code.  It should be
possible to port that saving code to C and have it part of 'pd', and
that would then fit into the existing code much easier.

Would the easiest first step be writing a single, complete escape
mechanism for the pd <--> pd-gui communications?