[PD] DesireData escaping code

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Aug 9 20:17:54 CEST 2011

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> My guess is that it'll have to be a combo of moving Pd 0.43 to the DD
> approach and rewriting the DD code to fit into 0.43.  It sounds like you
> have 'pd-gui' saving the file using Tcl code. It should be possible to
> port that saving code to C and have it part of 'pd', and that would then
> fit into the existing code much easier.

Well, no, or originally not. Ctrl+s is still done by server-side savefn.
What you are replying to, was about how the server uses savefn to send
stuff by sys_vgui. There are additional layers such as sys_mgui,
pd_upload, gobj_subscribe, gobj_changed, manager_class, but basically,
savefn sends by sys_vgui.

In desire.tk, I did add the ability to turn a client-side object into a pd
source line (#X obj ...) but that was much later in the project, when I
added the ability to copy client-side objects to the system clipboard (so
that you can paste into a text editor...). This feature could also be used
as an alternate way to save to disk, but it's currently not used like
that. That feature was called "deconstruct" internally, because it
produces the arguments that are needed to construct an object identical to
the original, thus it's an opposite of the constructor in that way (but I
could have named it savefn too).

> Would the easiest first step be writing a single, complete escape mechanism
> for the pd <--> pd-gui communications?

The first step for achieving what ?