[PD] PS/2 mouse+Arduino+Pd=awesome?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Aug 16 18:09:28 CEST 2011

On Aug 16, 2011, at 8:48 AM, Simon Wise wrote:

> On 16/08/11 18:53, Richie Cyngler wrote:
>> That's a good idea but my computer doesn't have a PS/2 input.
>
> [hid] is for usb, maybe [comport] would work with PS/2 if you used a
> PS/2 to usb connector??? or one of the older mouse objects? not
> sure, maybe the PS/2 to usb connector means that the trackball
> becomes a usb mouse?
>
> If it does appear as a usb mouse then [hid] can certainly connect to
> it directly, which will probably be what you want.
>
> You will need to do a few settings to your X setup, or your system,
> to make sure that the trackball does not become a mouse for the
> whole system.

On GNU/Linux, [hid] will work with PS/2 because the Linux input event
system is a single unified system for almost all techniques of HID
devices, including: PS/2, AT, USB HID, ADB, etc.

With the Arduino, if the data is simple, then it'd probably be easiest
to just send it and then receive it with [comport].  It would also be
not too hard to make a custom Firmata firmware using the PS/2 lib and
Firmata lib in an Arduino sketch.  Check the Firmata examples.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman