[PD] Dynamic patching with audio - review

abel.jerome at free.fr abel.jerome at free.fr
Thu Aug 18 20:07:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

> what about the
> game you've talked about ?)

I will working on the "3D-game" audio part the next two weeks.
If I have time, I will write some notes about my recent tests.

> a) you shouldn't dynamically create abstractions while dsp is running,
> as it slows down significantly.

I would have liked to hear it before... May be I missed a message.

How much is your "significantly" ?
Do you have taken measures to see what happens whith 10 audio objects, 100 or 1000 ?

> b) do [; pd dsp 0; pd dsp 1( right after your creation to fix the dsp-graph

But audio clics may occur for all sounds, not just for the new one, right ?
Could we do whithout a [line~] object to turn on/off sounds smootly and avoid audio clics ?

If we handle all sounds with a [line~]:
1 - stop all sounds smoothly (10 msec) with a GLOBAL send message
2 - wait 10 msec
3 - dsp 0
4 - create the new audio abstractions
5 - dsp 1
6 - turn on all sounds smoothly (10 msec) with a GLOBAL send message

Does it sound good ?
We have a 20 msec "hole" of sounds. I'm sure that it may be perceptible.
Imagine a sound of a bird turned off and on in 20 msec.
If we take 5 msec instead of 10 msec ...

Cheers,

Jerome