[PD] No loadbang in dynamically created objects

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 20 21:00:12 CEST 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, brandon zeeb wrote:

> I'm on 0.43-0 vanilla and just noticed that [loadbang] bangs are not
> being fired within abstractions which are created dynamically.  Am I
> missing something, or did I just stumble upon a bug?

[loadbang] is something that has to be banging whenever the patching is
finished. The patch that does dynamic creation is the one that is
responsible for loadbanging the objects.

Basic Pd only allows loadbanging a complete canvas, by sending a loadbang
message to the canvas. However, there are extensions for doing other
things. For example, [gf/canvas_loadbang], together with
[gf/canvas_count], allows you to send a loadbang to only the newest
objects, in a canvas that had already been loadbanged.

(The rule is that loadbang should be done only once per object at most,
never more than that.)

Note that creating objects manually also does not cause any loadbangs,
though it would be a good thing to have a menu item for triggering
loadbang on objects that didn't exist back when loadbang was done in that
canvas. That would be a quite awesome shortcut.