[PD] notes/questions from a beginner

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Aug 23 15:05:34 CEST 2011

On 2011-08-23 14:16, Stephen Lavelle wrote:

> 1 - Inlets/outlets too small for me to accurately click on (touchpad) -
> checking on pd-dev, they can be visually reskinned, but their actual
> clickable size can't be changed.  [ so I guess this one has been responded
> to, but might as well repeat it ]

true.

i'm a long term user of Pd, and i usually don't use touchpads (with Pd,
but in general as well) as they are a pain.
it could well be that Pd could be optimized more for touchpads (the
first thing i did when giving a workshop at PdCon 2 weeks ago was ask
for a mouse)

> 2 - If I have an object selected (that's to say pressing buttons to edit
> text in it) I can't find any key-combination that will delete it - I have to
> deselect it, then press the mouse down on it, then, while holding the mouse
> button down, press backspace? (this is an uncomfortable manipulation on a
> laptop w/ touchpad) - on OSX at least, a shortcut like cmd+backspace would
> be quite idiomatic for this.

you can do that with a gui-plugin :-)
however, your description is deliberatly awkward.
e.g. there is no reason to explicitely "deselect" the object.
you don't have to "press backspace while holding mouse down".

it is enough to "select" the object (drag the lasso over it), and once
it is selected, press backspace (with mouse up or down)

> 3 - I can drag lines from outlets to inlets, but not from inlets to outlets.

i think this is actually a good thing.
you can also not send data from inlets to outlets.

> 4 - is there a shortcut for deleting connections?  something like ctrl+click
> would save me a lot of time.

sure?

i mean, i understand that it is more ergonomic to just hold "ctrl" and
then click all those connections you want to delete rather than having
to click-backspace every connection.
you save a lot of clicks (well, keypresses), but i doubt that the
_speedup_ would be significant.

> 5 - is there a way to type numbers directly into a number box?
> clicking+dragging, or pumping them in via a message, doesn't feel good to
> me.

click on the number box and type the numberbox.
this is a runmode operation (that's why you probably missed it)

> 6 - shortcut for opening help of selected item would be...convenient for me

would be nice.

thanks for all those input!

fmadsr
IOhannes