[PD] making puredata headphone-safe

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 24 00:48:05 CEST 2011

On 2011-08-23 18:25, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> Do you mean:
> [osc~ some-frequency]
> |
> [*~ 5555]
>
> ?

I don't think so. 5555Hz is around dentist drill frequency, so it hurts ;).
Your dac can never go above one no matter what you feed it, while the
perceived loudness of a loud sound varies according to its harmonic
content. So I guess it's somewhat subjective what sound source gives the
loudest apparent output. An [osc~] multiplied by 5555 will sound louder
but it won't actually be louder than an osc multiplied by one (the
amplitude at the output will still be between 1 and -1).
The idea is to set the master volume so that the loudest sound you can
make will not break anything, whether speakers or ears or inner peace.
The easiest way to do that is to play the loudest sound first and adjust
the volume so that it's loud but not too loud. Then everything else you
do will be quieter than that.

Martin