[PD] Dynamic patching with audio - review

abel.jerome at free.fr abel.jerome at free.fr
Wed Aug 24 12:49:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

A new report of my researchs about audio dynamic patching techniques.

The continuation of my previous reviews :
http://abel.jerome.free.fr/pd/dynamic-patching/reviews/DynamicPatching_review-1.txt
http://abel.jerome.free.fr/pd/dynamic-patching/reviews/DynamicPatching_review-2.txt

"The issue has been discussed several times" (IOhannes m zmoelnig)

That's right. I've just seen that the "pd dsp O/1" method was described in 2005 !

It's quite difficult to find those threads without the terms "dsp tree" or "dsp graph" or "dsp chain". Indeed, I don't know anything about it.
A list of the best search terms could help us (see below) and avoid those "noise" requests.

We are trying here to make a review of all dynamic patching techniques to make it easier to understand and find the "best" solution for any project. It could be a page on the community website instead of the disheartening "do not use dynamic patching" (http://puredata.info/docs/tutorials/TipsAndTricks#how-to-avoid-audio-drop-outs).

- Search engine usage
When I search in the pd-list, the score show some posts where the search term are in the next or previous message links, not in the message body. How limit the search term to the body and not the links ?

Futhermore, if I'm interested in one thread, it seems that if I choose to sort by thread, it's only the threads of a month. How group one thread on all months ?

- Search terms
"audio drop-outs with pd dsp O; pd dsp 1"
"activate audio abstraction"
"dynamic audio abstraction"
"dynamic patching"
"dynamic patching techniques"
"update dsp-tree"
"update dsp-graph"ofxPd

- Threads about audio dynamic abstraction in pd-list
- [PD] strange behavior upon loading dsp abstraction....
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2004-12/thread.html#24337
- [PD] no dsp-chain update after dynamic abstraction-creation
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-06/028923.html
- [PD] slowly load a pd-patches/abs without dropouts
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-01/046243.html
- [PD] this is crazy
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-01/059244.html
- [PD] API for manipulating a patch in real time
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-12/066723.html
- [PD] Dynamically created signal object bug
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-02/068246.html
- [PD] abstraction creation audio engine start
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-04/069849.html

Dynamic creation of audio abstractions

- Methods
1 - DSP 0/1
2 - Add/clear an audio object (subpatch)
3 - Add/cut any object (subpatch)

See :
http://abel.jerome.free.fr/pd/dynamicPatching/patchs/dyn-audio-abstraction/

This methods work with any abstraction.