[PD] notes/questions from a beginner

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Aug 24 19:22:58 CEST 2011

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, Stephen Lavelle wrote:

> 1 - Inlets/outlets too small for me to accurately click on (touchpad) -
> checking on pd-dev, they can be visually reskinned, but their actual
> clickable size can't be changed.  [ so I guess this one has been
> responded to, but might as well repeat it ]

I once had written a zoom feature for pd, but it used a much different
framework, so, it can't be ported to regular branches of pd (vanilla,
extended, L2ork).

However, it would be possible to make one using a wrapper around TkCanvas
objects, so that they pretend being in one set of coordinates while being
in another set. It's not a small task.

If I were to do it, I'd use the poe.tcl framework, and I'd start from the
unfinished tkzinc wrapper that you both can find in the DesireData
distribution, and I'd look again at what «def Canvas item» does in
DesireData. There are other ways, but that example gives you the tricks
you need to know.

> 4 - is there a shortcut for deleting connections?  something like
> ctrl+click would save me a lot of time.

it's click,delete instead.

> 5 - is there a way to type numbers directly into a number box?
> clicking+dragging, or pumping them in via a message, doesn't feel good
> to me.

click,digits,return.