[PD] Headphones question on pd list

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Aug 24 21:15:41 CEST 2011

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote (outside of pd-list):

> If I do this, can't I be fairly certain that I won't get a sound with
> greater perceived volume than the clipped [noise~]--[*~ 999999] that I
> started with? [...] I'm just talking about things that could potentially
> cause ear damage.

a harsh-clipped [noise~]-[*~ n] is probably close to the highest loudness
you can get, even for not-so-high values of n.

However, if you want to find the loudest, you'd have to start from the dBA
loudness curve, and try to solve an equation involving a bunch of samples
that can range from -1 to +1... at 44100 Hz over 1 second, that'd be 44100
variables, for example, though a lot less variables could be enough to get
an idea. It doesn't look like an easy problem to me, but I haven't tried.

And then, the loudness curve, the pain curve and the damage curve are
three different things. I don't even know whether the latter two have been
computed. My only real experience with the loudness curve(s) is from
writing Alexandre T Porres' externals (for what he presented in Weimar). I
haven't studied the topic much more than that.