[PD] [PD-dev] tkwidgets

Patrice Colet colet.patrice at free.fr
Sat Aug 27 03:46:39 CEST 2011

----- "João Pais" <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> a écrit :

> tcl/tk behaves very slowly for fast calls, such as when dragging an
> array
> of considerable size, or a big group of objects? afaik this is
> something
> that could be improved in the present platform, but how better could
> it be
> when using another gui framework?

This is very slow because everything selected is moving, this method makes a very slow dragging,
if a rectangle is drawn just to show up area of selection that is been moving, that would be very fluid,
and it shouldn't so hard to implement. I guess it would even be possible to capture the selection as an image,
  so we would drag just an image, and then there would be no difference.

 something like this:

 <B1-motion> ---> capture area to move, copy in clipboard selected objects and args, build an image or a rectangle, delete the selection, and move the image or rectangle.
 <B1-Release> ---> delete the image or rectangle, and paste the selected object(s).

> > It might be a good idea to list the problems with tcl/tk so we can
> weigh
> > them against the difficulty of using a different GUI toolkit.  The
>
> > problems I see are:
> > * difficult to implement a decent zoom function for a canvas
> > * can't display png without the Img library (included in 8.6)
> >
> > * can't do alpha transparency
> >

> > Of the three I listed, I'm mostly interested in the first as it
> means
> > that (without prior planning) it's hard to take a patch you've been
>
> > working on at font size 10 and display it adequately over a
> projector,
> > for example.  (If there's a work around I'd like to know it.)
> > I'd like to hear others, but I'm mostly interested in problems with
>
> > tcl/tk >= 8.5 as the GUI.

Patrice Colet