[PD] notes/questions from a beginner

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 27 05:16:48 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

Not all programs use the "F1" binding (Firefox doesn't seem to), but if they
do, it's for a static program-wide point of entry that a user can depend on
even if he/she doesn't understand anything else about the interface staring
back at them.

"Static" is key here.  The whole point of a standard interface detail like that is so that you
don't have to assume that users know anything specific about your program in order for them
to get help.  So if a pd user has just selected an object in edit mode, then gets confused and
wants to go back to that "F1" help entry point, but you bring up the selected object's help patch
instead, you have just defeated the purpose of having an "F1" entry point.

It'd be like toggling what "Help -> About" points to based on whether or not an object is selected.

-Jonathan