[PD] sending image from of / libpd

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:45:16 CEST 2011

That's a good question.

Hrm, well you can easily read and write to arrays which are naturally 1 dimensional. I would first try flattening the image by writing the pixel buffer into a float array.  Then send the width and height as well for reading it back in pd. There currently isn't a way to send an area of memory and I could imagine sending a giant list would be alot slower then using an array.

See the example in https://github.com/danomatika/ofxPd for how to read/write to pd arrays.

Otherwise you could write and external as Mathieu suggests ...

On Aug 27, 2011, at 11:21 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, ronni montoya wrote:
>
>> Hi , Do anybody is working with openframeoworks and libpd? i would like to develop an application that interpret pixels as sounds using libpd addon on openframeworks. I was wondering which would be the best way for sending images(opencvimages ) or pixels arrrays from openframeworks to pd using libpd and receiving it in pd for interpreting it as sound in real time. Do anybody have tried soemthing like this? any idea?
>
> You can make yourself tilde externals for pd, that you embed in your libpd-based app... e.g. one or two outlets, no inlets.
>
> You just call the setup-functions of the externals just after initialising libpd... the externals don't need to be separate files (dll, so, dylib) : they can be part of your main executable instead, which is easier.
>
> I already do that with non-tilde externals. (Haven't had a reason to make tilde externals in that context yet).

> | Mathieu Bouchard ---- tél: +1.514.383.3801 ---- Villeray, Montréal, QC

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com