[PD] [PD-announce] gem 0.93.1

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Aug 28 18:41:12 CEST 2011

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011, IOhannes zmölnig wrote:

> Gem currently does not compile with mingw (see recent postings on
> gem-dev@), but it would be a nice feature to have for 0.94 (help would
> be appreciated; hint, hint :-))

It's not that I would like to have the option of compiling Gem in MinGW,
it's that I would like the default builds of Gem to be able to communicate
with GridFlow. So it's either that Gem binaries for Windows all use MinGW,
or that a workaround is created so that anything that communicates with
Gem can do it without being compiled in MSVC.

Otherwise, it would mean that GEM users who want to try GF have to
reinstall a different GEM than default just to have something that runs
with MinGW.

Afaict, GridFlow will never run with MSVC. Well, it might not be using
that many GCC extensions, but I haven't counted them. Maybe it's only
variable-sized arrays on stack, and variable number of args in macros.