[PD] [PD-dev] tkwidgets

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Aug 29 03:36:45 CEST 2011

That has little to do with Tcl/Tk being slow.  That has a lot more to
do with how Pd is implemented.  It generates and sends raw Tcl to the
GUI, and if you are moving a lot of stuff, that means a lot of raw Tcl
needs to be generated, sent, parsed, and executed.  That definitely
slows things down.  In my tests, I saw that moving a big patch around
or animating a big array could send 1 megabyte of raw Tcl to the GUI
per second.  Receiving, parsing, and executing 1 megabyte of code per
second is actually pretty good, IMHO.

What needs to happen is that Pd should call Tcl procs not send blocks
of raw Tcl.

.hc