[PD] sending image from of / libpd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Aug 29 07:15:06 CEST 2011

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011, Peter Brinkmann wrote:

> Well, I'm taking a complicated implementation detail (t_symbol)

but t_symbol is a higher-level structure for wrapping the const char *.
:}

> I thought I had already explained this when we had our little chat over
> at pd-everywhere, but I'll try again.   Calling the message assembly API
> of libpd stateful is technically true but completely misleading because
> the hidden state is only meant to be used in a very specific and limited
> way.

Hidden states usually are meant to be used in very specific and limited
ways... I don't know at all the distinction you're trying to make. The
statefulness of libpd is not misleading. Trying to say that it's not
really stateful, is misleading. I don't know what kind of connotations the
statefulness means to you and why you're trying to avoid calling it as
such.

Anyway, it's not a big loss to have statefulness in those circumstances,
as it's just before the beginning of a part that would have to be locked
anyway, or in a part that would have to be locked anyway (if calling
gensym).

> Here's the problem that it is supposed to solve:  You want to translate
> a heterogeneous list of objects in Java into an array of type t_atom in
> C.  That's all.

Btw, did you look at Pascal Gauthier's library ?

and also, I just read your libpd_read_array and libpd_write_array
functions. They don't work in 64-bit mode, in which sizeof(t_word) !=
sizeof(t_float).