[PD] Pd-gui bug (was Re: search plugin update)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Aug 29 17:05:16 CEST 2011

Interesting test results.  It would be quite nice if Tcl/Tk handled
the window placement for non-PatchWindows.  Part of the problem there
is that the .pd fileformat stores the location of the windows, and
therefore Pd explicitly places the windows using those coordinates.
That might be related here, but maybe not.

As for Test 3 & 4, that's not Apple that properly places the patch
window beneath the menubar, that's code in 'pd-gui'.  Check out
pdtk_canvas_new in pdtk_canvas.tcl.

.hc

On Aug 29, 2011, at 1:03 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Test1:
> Gnome 3 (Fedora 15) -- no problems
> Gnome 2.32.0 (Ubuntu Maverick) -- no problems
>
> OSX 10.7 -- problem: window decoration behind Apple's menubar.
>
> Test2:
> Tried a little stand-alone version of my plugin.  Still specifying 0
> 0 screen coordinates, and
>
> Apple automatically puts the ".search" window below the menu bar, as
> it does for everything
>
> else I've ever seen in OSX except this issue.
>
> Test3:
> Tried any number of my PDDP help patches, which all have 0 0
> specified as the coordinates
>
> for the patch window.  Again, Apple does the right thing and shifts
> it down an appropriate amount.

> Test4:
> Tried to fool wish on OSX into putting a toplevel underneath the
> menubar.  Can't do it.
>

> Hypothesis: Something isn't set correctly in pd-gui, but all I can
> see (at a glance) are options
>
> that have nothing to do with window position, and some variables:
> menubarsize and windowframey.
>
> -Jonathan

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said, hobbling
away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out another pink-
collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf