[PD] Building GEM with MinGW gcc WAS: [PD-announce] gem 0.93.1

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Aug 29 17:10:33 CEST 2011

On Aug 29, 2011, at 7:22 AM, Patrice Colet wrote:

> ----- "Mathieu Bouchard" <matju at artengine.ca> a écrit :
>
>> Otherwise, it would mean that GEM users who want to try GF have to
>> reinstall a different GEM than default just to have something that
>> runs
>> with MinGW.
>>

> If Gem can be compiled with mingw, it can be done by pd-extended
> build system on win32, as well as gridflow,
> so they should work together and be included in nightly builds.

Yes, that is true.  Its not trivial to get Gem building on MinGW, but
I think its definitely doable and without horrible pain, just some
pain ;).  The Windows build server is ready to do it, its got the
QuickTime SDK installed. I think the best plan of attack is to do it
incrementally.  So first just the most basic, stripped down version of
Gem building, then try adding more features as things get working.
Patrice, if you can take the lead on this, I'll help where I can.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman