[PD] making puredata headphone-safe

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Aug 29 18:31:16 CEST 2011

On Aug 29, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> On 2011-08-29 11:52, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> Try making a [noise~] connected directly to a [dac~] and set the
>>> headphone volume so you can live with that. Nothing will ever be
>>> louder than that.
>>

>> Hmm, I don't think that's actually true in all cases. On a MacBook
>> Pro
>> running Mac OS X, I've had the volume set to one above mute, but had
>> massive feedback from LPC patches that were very very loud. [noise~]
>> would be very comfortable at that volume setting. I think some
>> platforms
>> do the output mixing in the digital domain, so my min volume would be
>> [*~ 0.01], so that this would still make a very loud sound:
>>
>> [noise~]
>> |
>> [*~ 999999]
>> |
>> [*~ 0.01] (i.e. the Apple output mixing)
>> |

>> In this particular case, the sound output actually gets shutdown
>> entirely, so you have to reboot to get sound output again.
>>

> That make no sense. How can you have two sounds at the same level
> going into a mixer that come out at different levels? Or do you mean
> that a squealing sound is perceived to be louder than white noise?
> Maybe you could demonstrate with a patch?
>
> Martin
>
> "If it seems like magic your assumptions are wrong." Martin Peach

I am taking a biologist's approach here: I've observed this happening
multiple times in the wild, now I have to figure out why.  Its very
reproducible, I've taken the field mice into the lab and seen them
reproduce ;)  Take Ed Kelly's fun LPC cross-synth example, in ekext/
examples/lpc-cross-synthesis.pd.  Put some loud samples into it and go
crazy with the parameters and... MELTDOWN!  I've never heard my
computer make a louder sound...  I knew that this patch has some
feedback aspect to it, so I was doing my standard practice, having the
volume very low.