[PD] making puredata headphone-safe

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 20:15:21 CEST 2011

Ah, guilty as charged.

Those LPC plugins don't work very well due to discuntinuities in the filter kernel across DSP block boundaries. It has been on my to-do list for a very long time to recode those objects using a different method. One way to guarantee that things will screw up is to change the number of poles rapidly.
The problem is that some objects can generate unstable errors that are orders of magnitude greater than normal audio signals. Then there is a signal that maybe goes between +/- 100000 rather than +/- 1, and the volume control makes little difference. Please don't ask me for specific instances - I can't remember any at the moment, but it's happened to me before.

I personally do not use PD with headphones unless it is a patch I know well, with reliable outputs.
Conversely, a lot of "noise" music created using PD is played permanently clipped to oblivion.

One thing you can do is to use a limiter before the dac~. If the problem persists then avoid this plugin.

The metastudio has lots of these. A limited volume control for stereo is enclosed (check the "limit" box, or send a [limit 1( message into the right inlet).

Best wishes,
Ed Kelly