[PD] Pd on Android

Peter Brinkmann peter.brinkmann at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 29 21:30:47 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:09 PM, athos bacchiocchi <
athos.bacchiocchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/8/29 Pierre Massat <pimassat at gmail.com>
>
>> I plan on buying my very first smartphone in the next few days. I want a
>> phone running Android since it appears to be the best platform to run Pd. I
>> m just not quite sure about the way Pd can be used with a smartphone
>>

> There's Rjdj, which basically runs pd patches without gui (calling them
> "scenes") giving you the possibility to use the smartphone's touchscreen and
> accelerometer as controllers for the patches. So, you still need your pc to
> edit patches, but you can "use" them on the phone. Rjdj is for iphone, but
> you can download an rjdj scene player for android devices here:
>
> http://puredata.info/community/projects/software/sceneplayer
>
> or here:
>
> http://autobuild.puredata.info/pdlab/libpd/
>
> At the second link you will also find an archive with some rjdj "scenes"
> and Pd Test, it should be something similar to scene player but honestly I
> couldn't understand how to use it, i can just test sound (maybe it's
> intended just for that?). Here are some resources on how to build pd-patches
> for rjdj/scene-player.

The PdTest app is really just there to check whether Pd will work on your
Android phone, and to let you play with a few parameters like sample rate
and number of channels.

For the time being, we aren't posting binaries on a regular basis.  Instead
of following the links above, you probably want to get the source and build
the Android apps yourself in order to make sure that you have the latest
version.  The code is available here: https://gitorious.org/pdlib

> I just started to deal with this stuff, and i have still many doubts and
> difficulties. For example, i still couldn't understand how to download
> scenes from the rjdj website on my android phone, it seems you just can do
> this with an iphone. I hope anyone reading this thread has some useful hints
> :)

Scene download from the RjDj website isn't implemented yet.  I'm hoping to
change that soon, at least for those scenes that are available free of
charge.  For the time being, the easiest way to install scenes is to just
copy the .rj folder to your sd-card, or you can fire up the rjzserver and on
your computer and then download scenes from there.  (Make sure to build a
recent version of the ScenePlayer; communication with rjzserver is a fairly
recent addition.)
Good luck,
     Peter