[PD] Pd on Android

Spencer Russell spencer.f.russell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 05:13:38 CEST 2011

Seconding the dissatisfaction with real-time audio support on Android in
general.

I've only recently jumped on the android train (Samsung Droid Charge) and
I've noticed that the only audio apps that are usable are of the sequencing
/ drum machine variety, because they don't depend so much on low-latency.
Any apps where tapping on the screen is supposed to generate a sound exposes
serious latency issues.

I've heard that gingerbread made some changes to the available audio API,
but supposedly they didn't substantially improve things. According to the
"people who know" many of the latency issues are low-level (drivers and
actual hardware limitations) that have as much to do with the device
manufacturers as Android itself. One of the downsides of an open platform
that runs on a wide variety of devices. I haven't had a chance to survey the
situation with common audio CODECS being used on these devices and whether
the drivers are available open-source, and/or could be hacked for better
latency.

I haven't been able to test much with libpd yet. So far any time any
libpd-based app tries to access my microphone I get this crazy noise
(actually sounds kind of cool, but definitely not the intended sound). I
haven't tried building the latest from the repo, I didn't realize the
binaries were substantially out-of-date (I didn't bother to check any
timestamps).

If that doesn't fix the issue I'll be sure to get in touch with the devs and
see where the issue may lie.

-s