[PD] Mac OSX 10.7 resume states crash Pd-extended

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 14:56:58 CEST 2011

Ok, it dawned on me that Pd-Vanilla was working fine since it's not loading the prefs file I use for Pd-Extended ...

I tracked it down to my startup line which loads my main audio/OSC/playlist patch on startup in Pd-Extended. I usually leave that always open, so quitting with it open means Pd-extended starts 2 at the same time and I get problems:

tk scaling is 1.0
Pt_Start() called
in stat: : No such file or directory
in stat: : No such file or directory
udpreceive: bind: Address already in use (48)
bind: Address already in use (48)
pd: exiting

When the two patches start, there's a beach ball running then pd exits. Now it seems to exit nicely, so perhaps 10.7's autokill sends a sigterm, etc when the socket binding takes too long ... although Im only guessing.

Removing the patch from startup fixes the problem, pd can resume patches fine ... I even tried quitting and restarting with a couple copies of udprecieve-help open and no problems ... hrm so it's in my patch somehow. Will test some more.

On Aug 29, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Oops, right, what are the errors you are getting?  Please post the error log. If its about not loading objects, try removing your preferences.
>
> .hc
>
> On Aug 28, 2011, at 5:30 AM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>
>> I tested this with Pd-Vanilla 0.43-0 and there are no problems. The patch windows come up nicely.
>>
>> I tried to test it with a Pd-Extended-0.43.1autobuild but I keep getting load errors and can't open any patch windows :P Is there a more stable version somewhere?
>>
>> As for Pd-Extended 0.42.5, there are some options: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20083707-263/managing-mac-os-x-lions-application-resume-feature/
>>
>> You can hold Option when quitting (aka Cmd+Opt+Q ) to bypass the save state mechanism and delete any current states.
>>
>> You can also disable the state saving by locking the state folder for Pd-Extended itself in ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/org.puredata.pd.wish.savedState/ through the Get Info dialog (CMD+I) ...
>>
>> On Aug 28, 2011, at 5:16 AM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>>
>>> Since I've upgraded to Mac OSX 10.7 Lion, I've noticed Pd-extended 0.42.5 seemed to crash on startup sometimes, while other times it was fine. It finally dawned on me that OSX is trying to load the previous "saved state" since I had CMD-Q'd Pd with windows open. It automatically opens those windows at start. I assume pd is not yet ready for these and crashes due to some init order issue ...
>>>
>>> If anyone else has noticed this, a quick fix is to delete the save state so you can open Pd again. Then make sure to close all windows before quitting the next time ... thanks for the "help" apple.
>>>
>>> http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/17/delete-specific-application-saved-states-from-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-resume/
>>>
>>> Commandline:
>>>
>>> rm -rf  ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/org.puredata.*
>>>
>>> --------
>>> Dan Wilcox
>>> danomatika.com
>>> robotcowboy.com
>>>

>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> danomatika.com
>> robotcowboy.com

> There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com
robotcowboy.com