[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 31 08:19:46 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 08:46:54AM +0800, Chris McCormick wrote:
> Hi Miller,
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 01:21:29PM -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:
> > belated response...
> >
> > how about 'list tosymbol' and 'list fromsymbol'?  I.e.
> >
> > 98 97 116 -> bat -> 98 97 116
>
> I don't think this would accomodate the same use-cases as zexy's [symbol2list] or the hypothetical [split]. It doesn't really help in the original ratio-parsing case which started this thread.
>
> I was thinking more of:
>
> (symbol) "this/is/my/path/symbol.txt" -> (list) "this" "is" "my" "path" "symbol.txt" -> (symbol) "this/is/my/path/symbol.txt"
>
> Or in the ratios case cited:
>
> "2/3" -> "2" "3" -> "2/3"
>
> This would give it a great deal of general usefulness.
>
> I am in favour of having that functionality as part of [list] and those names look good to me. For the functionality you describe maybe something like [list ascii2symbol] and [list symbol2ascii]? Those would also be pretty useful!
>
> I am currently making a [split] abstraction based on Jamie's work. I will send it through when I am done - or you can just look at symbol2list's source which IOhannes has re-licensed in a message to this list for use in Pd:

hmm... another possibility, as in lisp: "list explode" and "list implode" ?

My idea is that, once this is in Pd vanilla, the  "2/3" -> "2" "3" type
of split is easy enough to program in an abstraction, but it's presently
not possible at all; meanwhile, the funtionality I'm describing is pretty
canonical and hard to split up into finer components in any way I can see.

cheers
Miller