[PD] Announcing CouchPdb development

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Wed Aug 31 21:04:40 CEST 2011

Hi,

thanks for your feedback. Here is what I came up with:

On 29.08.2011 21:31, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Sounds interesting, do you have an application in mind?  This kind of
> library is best explained via an interesting example, IMHO.

Currently I am working on a contrived example: a sequencer which gets
the data from the database. If you have a central CouchDB server, you
could control the sequencer from any other source, e.g. use the
sequencer in an art installation and let users control it via a website.
Contrived, yes, but doable, but I am still working on it.

> On Aug 26, 2011, at 7:00 PM, Thomas Mayer wrote:
>> - How should JSON data be dealt with in general? I am currently just
>> outputting one long symbol separated by spaces, so an object of
>>     {"id":1, "name": "my-name"}
>> becomes
>>     id 1 name my-name
>> but
>>     {"id":1, "name": "my name", "year":2011}
>> becomes
>>     id 1 name my name year 2011
>> and thus breaks the pattern of "key value key value key value".
>
> How about a message per key/value pair?  Then you just need to ensure
> that the key does not have spaces in it, then the value can be a symbol,
> float, list, etc.  It is possible to generate symbols with spaces in
> them in C, and you can work with them too.  The problem really is you
> can't save symbols with spaces to a .pd file (unless you use DesireData)

I came up with lists: The example above outputs now on the left outlet
list id 1
list name my\ name
list year 2011

After a JSON object is decoded, I output a bang on a second outlet, and
therefore can distinguish between two objects in short succession.

Best regards,
Thomas
--
"From the perspective of communication analysis, government is not
an instrument of law and order, but of law and disorder." (Gracchus