[PD] making puredata headphone-safe

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Aug 31 18:59:39 CEST 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 8:09 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 12:19 -0400, Martin Peach wrote:

>>> Hmm, I don't think that's actually true in all cases. On a MacBook
>>> Pro
>>> running Mac OS X, I've had the volume set to one above mute, but had
>>> massive feedback from LPC patches that were very very loud. [noise~]
>>> would be very comfortable at that volume setting. I think some
>>> platforms
>>> do the output mixing in the digital domain, so my min volume would
>>> be
>>> [*~ 0.01], so that this would still make a very loud sound:
>>>
>>> [noise~]
>>> |
>>> [*~ 999999]
>>> |
>>> [*~ 0.01] (i.e. the Apple output mixing)
>>> |

>>> In this particular case, the sound output actually gets shutdown
>>> entirely, so you have to reboot to get sound output again.
>>>

>> That make no sense. How can you have two sounds at the same level
>> going
>> into a mixer that come out at different levels? Or do you mean that a
>> squealing sound is perceived to be louder than white noise? Maybe you
>> could demonstrate with a patch?
>>

> I always had the feeling, that on OS X on MacBooks (Pro) the sound
> coming from the speakers is heavily processed. Audio sounds a lot
> 'punchier' than for example the same audio played on the same machine
> from Linux. I haven't had a chance to play around with it, since I
> don't
> own a MacBook, but from what Hans says, to me it sounds as the
> application output is not clipped to -1/1 before going to the
> (CoreAudio
> internal?) dynamics stage, but processed and limited first and only
> then
> sent to the speakers. This would also explain, why the setup Hans
> explained above would completely shutdown the sound output.  Probably,
> if you wait long enough, sound would come back again, assuming that
> it's
> the limiter's release time, that becomes very long due to the very
> high
> level coming in...

Yes, CoreAudio does do processing on the audio before outputting it.
I forget all the details.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during
that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big
Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General Smedley Butler