[PD] Controlling a Printer

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Aug 31 23:56:54 CEST 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Martin wrote:

> For me the best are the old dot-matrix with the serial connection.

I've never seen an old dot-matrix with a serial connection.

For use with the Color Computer, I had a DIN4 serial port (RS232)
connected to a box that would reframe the data in 8-bit packets. The box
was connected to the printer directly by a Centronics36 cable. That was
something made by hand, by the owner of a small computer shop in the 80's.
Otherwise, I was limited to printers that supported DIN4, which were a
4-pen plotter and a 75-dpi CMYK inkjet (!!!).

When I connected dot-matrix printers to PC computers, it was using a
DB25-to-Centronics36 cable, which was the normal way to do so.

I'm sure that there were RS232 dot matrix printers at one point, but they
were not common.