[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 20:01:14 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

Yes, it does.  But if there were one, it'd still be nice to have the default be float
atoms come out, and maybe a flag or a different creator name for outputting all
symbols. (Like [symbol explode]?)

>>  If symbol atoms which look like numbers to the naked eye are going to start
> flying around more freely in Pd then the docs need to explain how atoms are a
> kind of weird file cabinet where the label on the cabinet tells you which
> file-folder inside actually holds the data.
>
> That's called a union or a variant record type or an «any» type or a
> sum-type or whatever else.
>
> If it looks weird and/or difficult, it's because it's not taught in a
> way that makes it understood as normal.

I think the problem is it's not explicitly taught at all.

>>  Also, I'm assuming [list implode] would accept and process a list at
> the left inlet, unlike [s2l] (which passes the 1st element to the right inlet).
>
> I don't understand. Wouldn't [list implode] correspond to [l2s], whereas
> [list explode] would correspond to [s2l].

That's right, I wrote the wrong one.  I have a bad habit of getting opposites
mixed up-- if I'm not careful I'll create a [max] to output the greater of two numbers.