[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Sep 4 20:23:59 CEST 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 2:33 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:19:46PM -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:
>>> I am in favour of having that functionality as part of [list] and
>>> those names look good to me. For the functionality you describe
>>> maybe something like [list ascii2symbol] and [list symbol2ascii]?
>>> Those would also be pretty useful!
>>>
>>> I am currently making a [split] abstraction based on Jamie's work.
>>> I will send it through when I am done - or you can just look at
>>> symbol2list's source which IOhannes has re-licensed in a message
>>> to this list for use in Pd:
>>>

>> hmm... another possibility, as in lisp: "list explode" and "list
>> implode" ?
>
> Also good!
>
>> My idea is that, once this is in Pd vanilla, the  "2/3" -> "2" "3"
>> type
>> of split is easy enough to program in an abstraction, but it's
>> presently
>> not possible at all; meanwhile, the funtionality I'm describing is
>> pretty
>> canonical and hard to split up into finer components in any way I
>> can see.
>
> Ah, ok, so you could do:
>
> bat/cat/rat -> 98 97 116 47 99 97 116 47 114 97 116
>
> and then you would run through the number list finding 47 ("/") and
> re-building the separate symbols using the reverse operation.
>
> I guess this would be cool because it would also allow you to store
> proper strings with all kinds of characters in regular Pd arrays,
> which might be fun. Hmmm, also many other things!
>
>> easy enough to program in an abstraction, but it's presently
>> not possible at all;
>
> After looking at Jonathan's ratio splitting abstraction I think this
> might actually be possible with [makefilename] madness, but it's
> much uglier than what you propose:
> <http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2011-08/090196.html>

Definitely check out Bryan Jurish's moocow with its bytes2any and
any2bytes.  They work quite nicely for converting between messages and
lists of byte floats and are easy to use.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman