[PD] helpbrowser and the paths

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Sep 5 19:53:04 CEST 2011

On Sep 5, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2011, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> run a script that checks the user's .pdsettings for potential older
>>> installations of GF and suggest to remove them.
>>
>> Another idea is to discourage the use of the preferences for saving
>> paths and startup libraries.  Since gridflow configure its self
>> when its loaded, people can use [import gridflow]/[declare -lib
>> gridflow] in the patch.
>
> But there's a difference between discouraging the use and removing
> the use.
>
> When you do [import gridflow], gridflow will try adding itself to
> the path. As long as the path gets saved into the settings-file, it
> may contain gridflow folders for versions of gridflow that are not
> in use.
>
> I might get gridflow to stop adding things to the path in the
> future, just to avoid such problems in the future. It's a lot better
> than having gridflow's startup trying to see whether anything has to
> be removed from path... and doing it correctly.

I agree, I think it would be better to remove setting the startup and
path preferences completely, and leave only the command line flags and
[import]/[declare].  I think we can leave in the loading of
preferences since that would be similar to command line flags.  Its
something to try and see what happens.

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque