[PD] Pd on Android

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 6 00:20:26 CEST 2011

On Sep 5, 2011, at 4:05 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
>
>> Hi Chris, I tried PdDroidParty on my cousin's phone over the week-
>> end.
>> It's
>> so easy to install and use it's scary. Thank you for sharing this!
>
> Great stuff, I'm glad it works easily for you. These kind words make
> me
> motivated to get the new release out ASAP! :)
>
> (My Android phone died last night unfortunately but I will try to
> buy a
> new one today as the new release is very close and I might just be
> able to
> fit it into the family budget with some stretching heheheh).
>
>> Now two questions :
>> - Do you plan on improving the GUI just a little bit? (I like the
>> rough
>> look
>> of Pd's native GUI, but i think it'd be nice if we could have a
>> little
>> color
>> on the sliders, bangs and toggles).
>
> Attached is a screenshot of what I am working on right now. You can
> theme
> the supported widgets with SVGs. E.g. an SVG image for toggle-on and a
> different one for toggle-off. You can have different SVGs according to
> labels and sendname too. So for example you could have all toggles
> themed
> with one look, and then give one toggle the "send" field of "record"
> themed differently with an SVG ("Toggle-record-off.svg") that looks
> like a
> record button.
>
>> - Can i use [shell] in Android in order to delete and create
>> folders, and
>> generally manage the tracks i record on the phone?
>
> I have made an abstraction called [loadsave] which wraps openpanel and
> savepanel in desktop Pd and lets you have a nice Android style
> interface
> on the device. That gives you a small amount of access to the
> filesystem,
> but not everything you mention. If you use the [menubutton]
> abstraction
> you can put things in the Android menu too. See the other screenshot
> for
> that.
>
> However, your question begs a larger one which is support for a
> limited
> number of externals. It would be cool to support [shell] and also
> the OSC
> externals in PdDroidParty, but it really depends on whether they
> have used
> Hans' Makefile-template which makes compiling for Android trivial. I
> will
> put this on the TODO list to investigate.
>
> In the end I would like to keep the number of externals as small as
> possible so that things work on vanilla Pd on the desktop, but if
> someone
> really needs something I am happy to look at putting it in. This is
> [...]

[shell] is in ggee and [system] is in motex, both of those use the
Makefile Template, so they should be really easy to compile for
Android.  How are you installing externals with PdDroidParty? It'd be
nice to have a simple, common folder to drop the whole library in, say
something like /sdcard/pd-externals.

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque