[PD] OSC Confusion

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 08:25:57 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 21:00 -0700, Jim Aikin wrote:

> This leads me to a concatenation of questions.
>
> (1) Does the fact that OSCroute, sendOSC, and dumpOSC are deprecated
> mean that they actually don't work, or do they still work?

They probably still work, but are not maintained actively anymore and
are known to be buggy. The mrpeach OSC object classes are more low
level, but also more flexible, less buggy and actively maintained

> (2) Where can I get a version of Pd-extended that includes the new,
> preferred OSC objects?

They most likely are included in your version already. Pd-extended does
_not_ load _all_ libraries by default, which is IMHO a good thing. You
can easily load a library from your patch by putting a [import mrpeach]
in it.

> (3) If there is no such version, how exactly would I go about
> incorporating them in 0.42.5?

Not necessary.

> (4) What sort of patching will I need to do in order to connect the
> mrpeach objects with the [udp] objects after I've installed them, and
> where is this patching documented?

Check the helpfiles for [packOSC] and [unpackOSC], they show how to hook
up the OSC object classes with the net (udp|tcp) object classes.

> Sorry to be a pest about this. Right at the moment I'm trying to
> document the usage of OSC to let Pd communicate with Csound. Andres
> Cabrera's very nice tutorial video (on YouTube) uses the old Pd objects.
> I'd like to use the new objects in the tutorial I'm writing, but I can
> hardly do so when I don't understand where the objects are or how to
> install them.

Cool. I strongly recommend to use the mrpeach OSC classes.

BTW: you find a lot of info in the mailing list archives about this
topic.

Roman