[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Sep 10 00:29:15 CEST 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> I'm not sure what "appears in the patch" should mean. It definitly means
> that numercial-symbol selectors don't get shown and cannot be written
> into a patch, so you cannot use them in the editor where "real"
> selectors should be written, like in [route]: There's no [route "15"] in
> Pd, where "15" should mean a numerical symbol.

I proposed such a syntax in the past... 2006-2007, I think.

It would take care of :

"15" = \15 but looks less weird

"" = really an empty string (just like the &s_ given by A_DEFSYMBOL, that
you nearly can't produce otherwise)

"hello      world" = hello\ \ \ \ \ \ world but less annoying to type.

"hello   " = hello\ \ \  but at least it wouldn't be confusing like ending
a symbol by backslash space and then immediately using a space separator.

";" = \;

"," = \,

but it means :

" would be syntax error

\" would mean double-quote char

"\"" too

Those conventions are very similar to Tcl and Bash.

However, I don't know what "$1" would do, nor why it's a good idea, or a
bad idea.

Also, how do we quote ";" when writing to a file ? a literal semicolon in
a messagebox would be written as \;, which has to be written \\\; in the
file, but if a user were to write ";", what will the messagebox write to
the .pd file ?