[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Sep 10 09:34:03 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:07:20PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> And indeed, if I was only going on what the manual said, it would be a
> very weak argument.  Mostly, I'm going on how the type system works.
> You can directly interface the automatic typing of atoms by adding
> arguments in an object or message box.

No. You can only indirectly interface the automatic typing via arguments,
because the editor conversions ("numbers" -> A_FLOAT) interfere here.

> It is not currently possible to generate a "456" symbol by typing something
> into a message or object box.

Editor conversions again. To see how the "type system" works, you should go to
the source code where you will discover that it allows "symbols that look like
a number", because the data-carrying part of a symbol is a char*.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__