[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Sep 10 21:30:32 CEST 2011

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Yes, I agree that [float] and [symbol] should also do conversions.  A good
> example would be Python's str() and float().

I believe that the implicit conversions should be at a lower level than
that, because then, they can apply all over pd, wherever Type Mismatch
errors would happen.

>> [set symbol $1(
>> |
>> [ ( <-- What's printed here? ...My documents or ...My\ documents?
>
> Depends on what the symbol selector does.  If the symbol selector forces the
> rest of the message to be a symbol, then there wouldn't need to be any
> backslashes there.  But it would probably be a good idea to have them there
> anyway.

The problem with relying on the symbol selector for that, is that it is
limited to cases where you only want to pass a single symbol, which does
not apply to lists and other.

[set open 1(

I'm trying to store a command for opening a file whose name is just «1».
This can't use the symbol selector.

[set list 666 383.3801 986.3246(

this list contains two phone numbers I'd like to keep as symbols, but also
has a user id that I want to keep as float, and we have three elements in
the same messages, and only one selector at once.