[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Sep 10 21:40:35 CEST 2011

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

>> "" = really an empty string (just like the &s_ given by
>> A_DEFSYMBOL, that you nearly can't produce otherwise)
>
> [symbol(

And also if you do $1 inside of a DOLLSYM, you will get a default empty
string, though not separately, because it joins it to another symbol.

However, if you write $1$2 as a DOLLSYM and the abstraction has no
arguments, you will produce the empty symbol without using any objects to
do so (other the abstraction that you just made, and the object you are
passing this argument to).

> Also, how do you go about converting all the places in the current
> documentation where comments have quotes in them?

I don't know. Very good point. Writing the symbol foo as "foo" with the
doublequotes is allowed, but would be canonically converted to just foo
again, because atom_string would figure that it does not benefit from
having the double-quotes...

We need a comment type in which the whole comment is a single symbol, all
of the time. Its code needs to be more separated from parsed-text boxes
such as objectboxes and messageboxes, while currently, nearly all of the
code is shared.