[PD] audio > 1.0 not clipping?

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Sun Sep 11 07:57:16 CEST 2011

Hi all --

I assume this is happening on a Macintosh -- on that platform, Pd sends
floating point straight to the Mac audio system.  Rumor has it that the
Mac might compress and/or equalize the signal on its way out, so who
knows what you're actually getting.  But anyway, (and probably contrary to
Pd's documentation) audio isn't automatically clipped on Pd's output on
Mac although it is on Linux and Windows whose audio systems are explicitly
fixed point (and probably not messed with by hte system).

cheers
Miller