[PD] question about echo and shell

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Sep 11 18:20:19 CEST 2011

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Pedro Lopes wrote:

> I usually go for [system] for simple shell related things and it works
> with echo perfectly (but once again its in ubuntu).

In theory, there is not any difference between OSX and GNU/Linux for
[shell] and [system] and some more. They both have system(), popen(),
fork(), exec(), and /bin/bash (except very old OSX).

It's usually when trying with the other OSes that things can go wrong.
Windows needs different code for doing this, and has a different shell.
Apple iOS would be like OSX but it disables those functions completely.
Android can have /bin/bash but it's not there by default, and its libc is
different.