[PD] Multitrack recorder

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:03:49 CEST 2011

Hi,

I m trying to write a multitrack recorder based on writesf~ and readsf~ . I
m faced with a serious issue... There seems to be some latency either when
writing to a file or reading from it (i can't tell). This means that i can't
record a second track on top of another as an overdub and playback both.
Assuming that Pd's diplayed latency in the audio settings is right (???),
that is 100ms, i tried triggering the readsf~ after a 100 ms-long delay, to
no avail.
I thought it would be a piece of cake to program this, but well, apparently
it's not...?
Needless to say that i can't use table as i plan to use it for possibly long
recordings (my goal is to use it on a phone with PdDroidParty).

So here's the question : is there any latency when writing or reading to a
file, and if yes, is it measurable and foreseeable?

Thanks!

Pierre