[PD] cat /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-30-generic > /dev/dsp ?

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 12 23:10:50 CEST 2011

table's "read" message only reads in ascii files.  To read binaries use
"soundfiler" which can be asked to ignore header information and read
in raw 2s-complement data.  Or if you really want to jump a few feet, try
reading it in as floating point.

/dev/dsp belonged to the OSS sound system which ALSA is supposed to be able
to emulate.  depending on your configuration, you might be able to do
"sudo modprobe snd-pcm-oss" and get it.... that just worked for me on
Fedora anyhow.

cheers
Miller