[PD] [OT] cool book (maybe relevant to list discussion)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 13 02:51:12 CEST 2011

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Andy Farnell wrote:

> Of the languages I've encountered, maybe over 20 if allowing things like
> bash and assembly,

They are programming languages just like the others. There isn't a very
universal line between languages that are for programming and those that
are not, but usually, being Turing-complete is thought of as the
tipping-point. This means that anything with a while-statement or a
if...goto statement in it is a programming language, but there are also
turing-complete languages that have neither (which means that they can
emulate while-loops with something else).

> "From ML to C via Modula-3: an approach to teaching programming" which
> seems like a torturous path to put students through.

also exists.

Well, I agree, for introductory courses. Later in the curriculum, for a
course about the diversity of programming languages, weird combinations
are quite welcome, but Modula-3 is quite redundant nowadays, except when
trying to teach what programming languages used to look like...

> Anyway, Tate wants to urge this empirical pluralism, that learning
> languages is good for you whether you use them or not, for purely
> self-developmental reasons.

Yeah, and probably more so for programming languages than natural
languages, because the former potentially differ a lot more from each
other (unless you pick a bunch of similar ones...).